Washington, District Of Columbia
4.6K views 42 comments

I completed the application for a Harris Teeter VIC card minus giving my driver's license information. When I submitted my application, the cashier informed me she could not take the form without my drivers license information.

I spoke to the customer service manager and explained I felt requesting this much information was too much and opened the door for identity fraud. He indicated he had several customers express the same concern, but the requirement came from corporate. I can not think of any other food chain in the area requiring the drivers license to be copied.

I am not desperate for a VIC card to point where I am willing to compromise my privacy by supplying this information. I live 12 miles from the Harris Teeter. I have used them on my way from work to home since the store opened. I started using them because of the organic items they carry. Prior to the store opening less than three months, I often traveled about ten miles from my home to Whole Foods. I find with this policy, my last visit to Harris Teeter was today and I will now resume my twice a week visit to Whole Foods.

Harris Teeter is not a store I would recommend to anyone as long as the requirement to provide a DL is a provision to obtain a card

Review about: Vic Card.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Harris Teeter?

Comments

I too agree!I don't understand why they would need a drivers license?

There is a Harris Teeter within 2 miles of my house.

I may have been in the store 5 times since it open...they are very expensive.I have noticed the huge market up of of some items...1, 2, and 3 dollar difference!

Closer but much, much, much cheaper to drive further to shop!!!!

Bnob Rnowe
to Anonymous Midlothian, Virginia, United States #1304677

I do not agree. Since you have so much to hide and is such an important person, don't give your drivers license number. I think you would be better off by shopping at Walmart.

Absolutely.I did the exact same thing.

I have a large family, and think I spend a considerable amount on food. Also, there store is very convenient for me , but I drive to Martin's. By the way....Martin's is owned by a European concern. In Europe they understand the word privacy.

I think it takes a lot of guts. There is none....zero....zilch....nein....reason for them to request a driver's license. Why do they care if you are Mickey Mouse if you are buying from their overpriced store? Because they want to pester you and sell your information.

Drop dead.It is too bad more people don't tell them where to stick it.

Portland, Oregon, United States #1241442

No one is forcing you to buy their products or get any promotions/credit cards.There will never be 100% ID protection.

If you were so worried about it you could just get some ID protection from places like LifeLOCK.

You have to show your ID and credit card information for almost everything in America.Get over it.

to Anonymous #1253858

Why did you use anonymous?Why are you scread yto give your real information?

See how that works, ***?

So sorry you sold your personal info for a piddly discount. How much are you for sale for next time?

a 1-% discount?Less% or is 1-% all you;re worth?

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1222614

Me too!!! if I have to provide my DL to get Vic card forget it I I'll shop some where else. That is too much info.

Sterling, Virginia, United States #1204967

It seems really strange to me that requiring photo ID to vote is considered such discrimination that it is going to supreme courts.Yet, HT can require a DL?

Isn't that discriminating against those who don't have a DL? If HT is willing to accept another form of photo ID, aren't we back at the same argument being used to say voter ID is unconstitutionally discriminatory?

Just saying...

Williamsburg, Virginia, United States #1195635

I agree. There is no VALID reason for them to request people's driver license number. It is just one more opening for identity theft.

Just went through the ordeal of trying to get the HT discount shopping card at the Reston, VA location.I am willing to provide a name and address and even willing to show ID to prove the info is accurate.

They refused. As I explained to their Customer Service rep and the Asst Store Manager, I will spend over $5,000 over the course of the next year on groceries. I would like to spend that $5000+ at your store. But, I will not shop at HT I have to pay more than some lemming who will allow you more personal information than is needed.

It is simply a business decision for HT to decide if they want me as a customer. If so, they will allow me their best price without copying my DL. Otherwise I will shop at a store that values my business and my privacy.

Very simple.Thank god I live in the land of free market enterprise where there are other choices.

Ran
Fort Washington, Maryland, United States #896779

I had the same experience.I offered to let them look at my dl to confirm the address but they insisted on recording/scanning it as a pre requisite to obtaining the loyalty card.

This practice is illegal in California.

They could not even justify the requirement except to say ...."headquarters says so"!